This Prompt Pot Beef Stew is a hearty, comforting dish made with chunks of tender, crumble beef in a flavorful broth with carrots, potatoes, and inexperienced peas executed all in your Prompt Pot!
Why We Love Beef Stew
There’s simply nothing fairly like hearty beef stew! All these flavors and ultra-tender textures of meat and veggies are simply in regards to the coziest factor you possibly can put in a bowl. It’s positively the last word consolation meals!
Normally, beef stew is extra of a weekend affair. It takes time to tenderize all of the goodies on the range. However with this scrumptious Prompt Pot model, you possibly can have have wonderful stew with minimal prep (and half the time in comparison with stovetop stew, when you’re utilizing the IP!) So beef stew can go in your weeknight menu. That is the BEST Beef Stew you’ll ever make – the flavors are unbelievable, and the meat is so crumble tender you possibly can eat it with a spoon.
Substances Wanted for Prompt Pot Beef Stew
- Beef Chuck Roast: This minimize of beef is a extra marbled minimize and when it’s cooked underneath stress in your Prompt Pot, it turns into completely soften in your mouth tender. You need to use different cuts of beef like rump roast which usually aren’t as tender, and even one of these minimize will come out actually tender in your Prompt Pot.
- Onion: yellow or white onions work good on this recipe and can add a scrumptious taste.
- Carrots: For beef stew, it’s greatest to make use of carrots which might be agency, candy, and have a superb texture. The most typical sort of carrots which might be used for beef stew are the common orange carrots, They’ve a naturally candy style and are excessive in beta-carotene.
- Potatoes: Yukon Gold potatoes are usually thought-about the perfect number of potatoes for beef stew. They’ve a buttery taste and a creamy texture that holds up nicely through the lengthy cooking time. Additionally they don’t crumble as simply as another varieties.
- Beef Broth
- Tomato Paste: provides a wealthy, tomatoey taste and a deep crimson shade. It will possibly additionally assist to thicken the stew because it cooks and add a little bit of acidity which assist to steadiness the flavors
- Worcestershire Sauce: provides a savory, salty, and barely candy style to beef stew. It additionally provides umami taste to the dish, which is a savory style that’s typically described as “meaty” or “brothy”.
- Inexperienced Peas: add a pop of shade and a recent, candy taste to beef stew. Additionally they add a distinction in texture to the tender beef and tender potatoes within the stew.
- Corn Starch: This may be added on the finish when you really feel such as you need a thicker stew. I often don’t find yourself including it as a result of this recipe makes a very nice thick stew.
- Spices: thyme, salt and pepper.
How one can Make Beef Stew in Your Prompt Pot
The magic of the Prompt Pot is that it creates SUPER tender meat and veggies, in a fraction of the time it takes to prepare dinner in your stove-top (or anyplace else, actually!) And if you make this stew within the Prompt Pot, you are able to do all of your cooking in a single place. Right here’s how you can do it:
- Push the “Saute” button in your Prompt Pot, and add the olive oil. Season the meat with salt and pepper. When the pot is sizzling, add half the meat cubes to the Prompt Pot and sear for 5-7 minutes till caramelized and brown on the underside. Take away and put aside. Repeat with oil and the remainder of the meat cubes. Take away and put aside with already browned beef.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic to the pot, and saute till they start to melt and switch brown. (It’ll occur in simply 2-3 minutes as a result of your pot is already so sizzling!)
- Add the meat broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and tomato paste. Stir briefly to mix, then cancel the “Saute” mode in your Prompt Pot. This may deglaze your pot and add a scrumptious taste to your stew.
- Add the caramelized beef again to the pot, then carrots and potatoes. Just be sure you minimize the veggies in giant items, in any other case they are going to breakdown an excessive amount of and switch mushy. Should you select so as to add the candy potato, it is going to breakdown regardless and is supposed so as to add thickness and taste to the stew base.
- Put the lid on and set the valve to seal. Push the “Guide” or “Excessive Strain” button in your Prompt Pot, and set the timer for 25 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, let the pot depressurize naturally for about ten minutes. After 10 minutes, flip the valve to launch the remaining stress, then open the lid rigorously. Add the frozen peas.
- If you need a thicker stew, make a cornstarch slurry by whisking cornstarch and water collectively. Stir into the stew, and press ‘saute’ and let it simmer for a couple of minutes to thicken. Season with salt and pepper to style. Serve heat with crusty bread or rolls. Get pleasure from!
How one can Make Beef Stew in Your Gradual Cooker
The gradual cooker model of this stew is simply as scrumptious! It could even be a little bit bit extra easy within the prep division (you don’t must pop in halfway so as to add the veggies.) The trade-off is, it takes many hours extra for the stew to be prepared. And also you’ll want to make use of one further pan to brown your meat. Select the tactic that works greatest for you! Right here’s how you can make this scrumptious, savory beef stew in your gradual cooker:
- Use a big skillet to brown your meat on the stovetop, then switch it to your gradual cooker.
- Add all of the remaining components, besides the corn starch and frozen peas. Put the lid on the gradual cooker, and prepare dinner on low for 8 hours, or on excessive for five hours.
- Open the lid and stir within the cornstarch and water slurry till the stew thickens.
- Add the peas and stir till they’re heated via. Serve and luxuriate in!
What’s the secret to tender beef stew?
- Select the appropriate minimize of beef: Search for cuts which might be labeled as “stewing beef” or “beef for braising,” as these are usually well-marbled and can break down and change into tender through the lengthy cooking course of. Good choices embrace chuck roast, spherical roast, and brief ribs.
- Brown the meat nicely: Earlier than including the meat to the stew, it’s essential to brown it nicely on all sides. This helps to seal within the juices and provides taste to the completed dish.
- Use an Prompt Pot or Crockpot: Each of those cooking strategies will tenderize the meat both by utilizing stress or an extended slower cooking methodology.
Is it higher to gradual prepare dinner or stress prepare dinner beef stew?
Each gradual cooking and cooking in a stress cooker can produce scrumptious beef stew, however there are a couple of variations.
Strain cooking in your Prompt Pot is nice for rapidly tenderizing powerful cuts of meat, and infusing the flavors of the opposite components into the meat. The components are cooked at excessive stress, which raises the boiling level of the liquids, leading to a sooner cooking time.
Gradual cooking is nice for breaking down powerful cuts of meat and infusing them with the flavors of the opposite components. Gradual cooking additionally permits for an extended window of time for the flavors to meld collectively, producing a extra complicated taste.
In the end, the selection between gradual cooking and stress cooking is dependent upon your private choice and the way a lot time you may have.
Why is my stew meat powerful in Prompt Pot?
These are some causes your stew meat is perhaps powerful when cooked in an Prompt Pot:
- The meat was not correctly browned earlier than cooking: Browning the meat earlier than cooking it within the Prompt Pot helps to seal within the juices and create a flavorful crust on the skin of the meat. Skipping this step may end up in a much less flavorful, and harder meat.
- The meat was cooked for too lengthy: Overcooking the meat may cause it to change into powerful, because the proteins within the meat can break down and lose moisture. To keep away from this, make sure that to comply with the recipe directions.
- The minimize of meat will not be nice for stewing: Some cuts of meats are higher for stew than others. Meats which might be extra tender, like sirloin or tenderloin, won’t require as lengthy cooking time as much less tender cuts like chuck roast or rump roast.
- The Prompt Pot was not correctly sealed: If the Prompt Pot will not be correctly sealed, the stress won’t construct up and the meat won’t prepare dinner as rapidly. Make it possible for the lid is locked and that the sealing ring is in place.
Storing Leftover Beef Stew
Leftovers style nice the following day! Retailer within the fridge and reheat in a saucepan in your range. Leftovers will hold nicely for about 4 days within the fridge.
You might also freeze this stew, however you would possibly discover that the potatoes change their texture a bit and are rather less fascinating reheated from frozen.
Attempt Extra Hearty Prompt Pot Recipes!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chuck roast minimize into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 medium carrots peeled and minimize into 1 1/2″ inch items
- 3 small Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and quartered
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper to style
- 2 teaspoons corn starch + 1 tablespoon chilly water (non-compulsory)
- 1 medium candy potato non-compulsory
INSTANT POT DIRECTIONS
Push the “Saute” button in your Prompt Pot, and add the olive oil. Season the meat with salt and pepper. When the pot is sizzling, add half the meat cubes to the Prompt Pot and sear for 5-7 minutes till caramelized and brown on the underside. Take away and put aside. Repeat with oil and the remainder of the meat cubes. Take away and put aside with already browned beef.
Add the chopped onion and garlic to the pot, and saute till they start to melt and switch brown. (It will occur in simply 2-3 minutes as a result of your pot is already so sizzling!)
Add the meat broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and tomato paste. Stir briefly to mix, then cancel the “Saute” mode in your Prompt Pot.
Add the caramelized beef again to the pot, then carrots, potatoes, and candy potatoes (if including them) Just be sure you minimize the veggies in giant items, in any other case they are going to breakdown an excessive amount of and switch mushy. Should you select so as to add the candy potato will breakdown regardless and is supposed so as to add thickness and taste to the stew base.
Put the lid on and set the valve to seal. Push the “Guide” or “Excessive Strain” button in your Prompt Pot, and set the timer for 25 minutes.
When the timer beeps, let the pot depressurize naturally for about ten minutes. After 10 minutes, flip the valve to launch the remaining stress, then open the lid rigorously. Add the frozen peas.
If you need a thicker stew, make a cornstarch slurry by whisking cornstarch and water collectively. Stir into the stew, and press ‘saute’ and let it simmer for a couple of minutes to thicken. Season with salt and pepper to style. Serve heat with crusty bread or rolls. Get pleasure from!
Warmth olive oil in a big skillet over medium-high warmth. Add stew meat, and prepare dinner till evenly browned on the skin. Switch meat to a gradual cooker.
Peel and chop the carrots, potatoes and candy potatoes into 3/4-inch thick items, and add them to the gradual cooker together with the garlic, onion, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, and thyme.
Cowl and set the Crockpot to Low, and prepare dinner for 8 hours, or excessive for five hours. Meat must be fork tender.
In a small bowl, combine the corn starch with 1 tablespoon of chilly water to make a slurry. Pour it into the recent stew and stir till thickened.
Stir in frozen peas till heated via. Serve and luxuriate in!
Energy: 322kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 20g | Fats: 12g | Saturated Fats: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 6g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 544mg | Potassium: 1146mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 15773IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 4mg
I am a registered dietitian, mother of 4, avid lover of meals and powerful promoter of wholesome habits. Right here you can find a number of scrumptious recipes filled with fruits and veggies, suggestions for getting your youngsters to eat higher and change into intuitive eaters and plenty of sources for feeding your loved ones.
Study Extra about Natalie