What You Ought to Know:
- Interoperability is a continued space of essential focus for the healthcare trade, in line with a brand new report by KLAS.
- For its newest report, KLAS talked to vendor-identified deep adopters to take a holistic take a look at the present state of interoperability in ambulatory and enterprise EMRs and measure how shut we’re to a really perfect state. The outcomes reveal every vendor’s strengths and weaknesses inside varied areas of interoperability.
Exploring Ambulatory and Enterprise EMR Interoperability in 2023
KLAS carried out deep interviews with leaders from organizations who had been recognized by the distributors as deep adopters (the exception being eClinicalWorks, who didn’t present an inventory). The findings showcase what is feasible at this time in actual care settings however could not replicate buyer bases as a complete. Key insights from these findings are as follows:
- Connectivity: Epic and Oracle Well being (Cerner) Clients Lead in FHIR API Adoption to Assist Third-Occasion Connectivity: Amongst respondents, the superior Epic customers report probably the most connections. Epic additionally outpaces different EMR distributors with connections to in-home affected person monitoring know-how, partly attributable to their work with APIs. Oracle Well being (Cerner) prospects report they’re leveraging FHIR APIs and likewise focus on the progress they’ve made in connecting to nationwide affected person file exchanges. athenahealth and MEDITECH prospects are additionally beginning to point out leveraging FHIR APIs extra typically. Altera Digital Well being (Allscripts), eClinicalWorks, and Greenway Well being prospects report much less proactivity from their distributors in getting prospects linked to nationwide affected person file exchanges.
- Utility: Duplicate Knowledge a Main Challenge; NextGen Healthcare Has Made Notable Progress: NextGen Healthcare and athenahealth are main out amongst ambulatory EMR distributors at enabling knowledge to be accessed on the level of care. NextGen Healthcare prospects persistently report performance that removes duplicate info from incoming knowledge earlier than it’s built-in into the clinician workflow. Some athenahealth prospects notice performance that simply brings key exterior knowledge (i.e., PAMI and lab knowledge) into their workflow.
- NextGen Healthcare Main in Making Exterior Knowledge Actionable; Altera Digital Well being (Allscripts), eClinicalWorks, and Greenway Well being Falling Behind: NextGen Healthcare and athenahealth have made extra progress with CCDs and Direct messaging and offered their prospects with higher entry to the particular forms of knowledge wanted on the level of care. For a number of NextGen Healthcare prospects, higher entry has led to extra usable knowledge throughout transitions of care and to high quality enchancment instruments. NextGen Healthcare and athenahealth respondents persistently have clinicians leveraging exterior knowledge due to the instruments physicians can entry and the referral instruments for care coordinators. Epic and Oracle Well being (Cerner) prospects have famous some enhancements.
- Outcomes: Organizations Beginning to See Actual Outcomes as Interoperability Advances: Fewer than 25% of Greenway Well being prospects point out getting access to exterior knowledge that would affect their care selections. Alternatively, at the least 40% of NextGen Healthcare, athenahealth, Epic, and Oracle Well being (Cerner) prospects are capable of cut back duplicate testing due to higher integration of discrete exterior knowledge on the level of care. A concentrate on standardization has allowed the shoppers of NextGen Healthcare, athenahealth, Epic, and MEDITECH to enhance their transitions of care.